Wednesday, November 10, 2010

Where Were You

I need to break free of my social dependence. Relying on others only results in getting hurt. Love? Trust? What of those? Elements of fantasy, they hold no bearings in the world of reality.

You abandon me. Every last one of you. In my time of need who raced over? Who came to the door armed with compassion and brandishing support? I stood alone. I broke alone.

Now I must stand
Alone.

I take comfort in knowing my strength of loyalty. But that comfort is overshadowed by my doubt in Humanity.

My folly lies in my own misplaced faith in others. I can blame but myself for my shortcomings. No soul promised me fidelity, no dusk promises dawn; it is assumed.

And in that assumption we die, cold in our abandon. Drowning in loneliness and sorrow, pressed beneath the weight of regret of unspoken words, you and I -not we- die alone.

To place confidence in another is to relinquish his faults and accept him for the one he truly is. When cowards dress as wolves we may as well cast our stones into our bowels, for to have one eat one’s words is bittersweet in victory.

No comments: