Tuesday, December 25, 2007

Stardust

I watched the movie Stardust for the first time today. I love the novel by Neil Gaiman, and I strongly encourage you to read it. The movie is amazing, out of context. It has a plot captivating and exciting, a love story, a battle scene... several, actually. It's witty, it's cute, it's amazing. It only grazes the surface of the novel. So many characters and events were left out. The reasons or events that lead up to major points in the story are warped or dropped entirely. If one were to compare the movie to the book point for point- they'd hate it. The movie covers the main points of the plot. Gaiman had a hand in the writing, directing, and producing, so of course, it doesn't stray too far from the original plot. I think that if all the details that make it magical were put in the movie... we'd have a movie longer than Titanic, and we all knew walking in that one that the boat sinks at the end. Simply, it's an amazing movie, if you're able to watch it without comparing it to the book. The movie strays so far from the book I couldn't recognize it if I walked in halfway through, but it's still a good movie. I do recommend reading the book, though. It's far more enticing than the movie.

No comments: